Thursday, February 1, 2007

Tipping

One of the biggest misconceptions on ski instructing is that you get paid. Allow me to correct that, we get paid a minimum wage for the most part. There are instructors who get paid a lot better, they typically won't be found attached to a ski school though. They're typically the freelancers who get hired directly by their clients. For the rest of us dealing with little Johnny or Sue it's the bare minimum.

If you've got a child taking a lesson who you know will be a bit of a handful, be kind and tip the instructor. It doesn't even have to be a direct tip, a beer in town or at the bar is often a great gesture.

My best tip has been $50 after a 3 hour private session with a group of 5 Japanese clients. They were a bunch of fun to work with and I've seen them on the numerous times on the mountain since the lesson. I still remember each of their names, talk briefly when we pass by, and occasionally even join each other for drinks afterwards. Most days I take home $0 in tips and have to wait until the once a month check to arrive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Generosity goes a long way. Two different kinds of skiers--locals and the folks that come once a year and stay in a condo. The reason I bring this up is that if you are a 1 weeker, treating the instructors well often yields other benefits. They see you in town and they might recommend a better place to stay next time or a great place to eat or a better place to get boards tuned, etc. Instructors are in the know and often they will give you little nuggets of info. Ask them questions and tip them well.

Next group of folks are locals. I take my youngest son to the ski school at Brian Head when we are out skiing. Last thing I want to do is ride greens with a five year old the entire day. He needs the special care and after a few more lessons, he will be at a level where he can ride with me and Jake. So I am a local that has kids in lessons. Here is the deal... if you are a cheap skate, it gets around. You run into these people and I know what they make per hour. It ain't much. You buy them a beer or give 'em an extra $10-20 for a lesson and they will see you on the slopes on their day off. Remember that these folks work for minimum wage because they love skiing, and most of them teach because they enjoy teaching skiing and in general talking about it.

I can't count the number of times I have taken runs with an instructor and they will stop me and say, "Work on your XXX. You are doing YYY and if you do this, it will correct it." If your goal is to get better, then treat the folks that help you well.