Monday, February 19, 2007

Hats vs Helmets

After a class, I typically spend a few minutes wrapping up the details of what the students and I worked upon. I highlight what each one is doing right and point out what they can do to work on tightening up their new found skill or even how to progress further to the next level. Out of the entire discussion the most often asked question, "Should I (or my child) have a helmet?"

While this is clearly a personal preference, my typical answer is an emphatic "Yes. But... " Why the but? I clearly use one myself in all my classes and free riding time (Giro Nine.9) and feel naked when riding without it. I have two major concerns with helmets.

The first is the more important of the two. While a helmet may protect your head, it does not give you free reign to be careless or an idiot on the mountain. More to the point, a helmet may protect your head, but it does not protect your knees, neck, or spine. It does not make you instantly invulnerable to the conditions surrounding you. In other words use the helmet to protect your head and your head to protect yourself and the rest of the mountain.

The second issue I have belongs to the the ear covers. One of the first things I noticed on my helmet (and just about every I've tried since) is how the ear flaps muffle sounds from the front and back of the wearer. I say this is a lesser issue as I find riders with headphones to be in the same category. The ability to hear a rider approaching from behind is important, but as an instructor the ability to communicate with my student is even greater. There isn't a good solution to this one, so I leave it up to the riders to check before making a turn.

Why do I ride with a helmet? Rocks frighten me. Other riders frighten me. I've invested too much time and money into my brain to let a simple $70 purchase be a limiting factor for my life long enjoyment. I admit having learned without a helmet and having rode for years without one. What changed my mind? In the past 4 years I've been hit more often by other riders than I have ever in my lifetime on the mountains. I cannot control this aspect of the slope.

What helmet do I suggest? My criteria for a helmet is pretty simple. I want a lightweight helmet that's been ANSI certified. After riding for a bit a helmet can become extremely warm, therefore I want air vents of some type on the top, front, and sides. Some days will be warmer or colder than others so I want the vents to be easily sealed and opened. Because my head is an awkward shape I want the helmet to fit properly. It does me no good if it doesn't protect me.

Anything else? Yes, keep the chin strap closed. A helmet is only useful if it sticks to your head when you fall. Leaving the chin strap open may allow for better venting, but the helmet is essentially useless. Use the chin strap.


Some sites to check out regarding helmets:
Lids On Kids
Giro
Backcountry.com Helmets
Pryme Gear

No comments: