Thursday, February 15, 2007

Adaptive

Adaptive lessons tend to be one of those areas not really covered in the general progression of PSIA or AASI teachings. In fact, it's a speciality area, where the entire focus of a class or certification can be dedicated to one area of adaptive teaching. In other words, your average instructor does not have the capability or knowledge on teaching any kind of adaptive needs class.

I recently had a private class with a mentally handicapped child whose father wanted to enjoy the mountain. I fully support the enjoyment of the mountain and I've had my share of $50 babysitting jobs. But when your child falls into the category of special needs, do you really think leaving them with a group of non-trained minimum wage paid employees is the best idea?

I spent most of the class chasing the child out of the woods and pulling them (kicking and screaming) away from the snow cliff over the parking area. Before the class was sold, the staff urged the father not go through with this, as we're not equipped for adaptive teaching. At the end of the hour I was happy to be done.

No comments: