Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mountain Helper

As an employee of the mountain I'm constantly having to keep an eye out for situations on the mountain. I offer help and advice to those who look like they could use it and only if they want it.

The other week, I had a rare day off from teaching which meant a chance to enjoy the mountain. While riding down a beginner slope I came across a father and daughter skiing who were obviously having difficulties. The daughter was crying just after the first lip of the run about not wanting to ever ski again. The father was just at his limit with no idea what to do next.

I stopped over, said hello, and asked if everything was alright. The daughter started crying really loudly at this point, so I talked with her for a little bit. The key, in my mind, to talking to her was that I was at her level. Dad was inadvertently talking down to her just by his stance. A minute or two later I got her back on her feet and trying to ski again. The father thanked me and we parted ways with some pointers for him to try.

The next day arrived and by request my second lesson of the day was the same little girl. We had fun learning, snow plowing a bit, building snowmen, throwing snowballs, and learning how to turn. She left the lesson rather excited about having been at the mountain.

The day after the ski school received, for only a third time in it's history, a letter of gratitude regarding it's instructional staff's professionalism, quality, and friendliness. The letter specifically highlighted the help mentioned above and the classes myself and another instructor did for this mans' family.

The letter now hangs on the ski school wall within a plastic case.

No comments: