Saturday, December 15, 2007

School of Hardknocks

When I started skiing, the idea of a helmet was rather foreign. I rode with all the safety and comfort of a warm wool hat. When I began teaching I noticed a large number of riders generally being reckless, running into other riders, falling off terrain features, etc. After having been run into I think 5 times in two weeks (all from behind while standing still), I decided it was time to put a helmet on. When I started this blog, I made a post on my theories of why helmets are good and bad. I still stand by those comments.

What has been interesting to watch is evolution of helmet usage within the ski school. I like to think of it as how my use of a helmet has slowly influenced the other instructors. When I started, only one other instructor wore a helmet. A little joking around for a year or more and then within the last two years I've seen the transformation begin. More instructors arriving each season with a helmet. Some have a helmet, refusing to wear it until they get a little pressure regarding it.

Now that we've had several weeks of lessons, I've had the opportunity to meet all the staff again (full and part-time) and am happy to say only one ski instructor and 3 snowboard instructors are holding out on their helmet.

If only Giro could make a lightweight helmet for use while instructing only. Hrm...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agree, wearing a helmet while teaching is a must. And of course any time you're going full throttle while free-skiing/riding. About the only time I don't wear one is when I'm out skiing pretty casually or in wide-open backcountry, and that's pretty rare.

I have to say that, being an instructor for 10 years definitely refined the "eyes in the back of my head" to the point I can usually sense the impending hit. Lucky to never be nailed hard.