Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Friendly Gear

Like most folks working in the outdoors during winter (and people who like to play in the outdoors), I've been a long time fan of layering. To that end I've found the under layers to be one of the best options out there for staying warm, but the least fun for being social. Synthetic layers tend to retain the natural body stench pretty well, allowing it to seep out from any opening possible. On the other hand I've found the same synthetic layers to work the best (plus you can quick wash them in the hostel sink if need be) to keeping warm outside. I've long since been a fan of Patagonia not just for their quality control, but their stance on recycling older layers. It makes me at least feel like I'm doing some part to maintain the environment as long as I forget the amount of energy needed to send the pieces back to the company.

I've got a silk layer or two, and they work fairly well. I'm not sold on them being the best.

Wool is the one area I've avoided. It's a few days old now news wise, but FirstTracks had an article on the Red Mountain Resort and Australian Wool Innovation giving out wool underlayers to Red Mountain employees for the season. In trade the employees had to provide feedback to AWI regarding the performance and issues with the gear. Two thoughts on this.

First, it sounds like I should really re-think my stance on wool underlayers.
Second, way to go Red Mountain! AWI how do I sign up another mountain for this opportunity?

No comments: