Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Fashion Stop

Ski clothing/fashions have evolved over the years. In the early and mid eighties the big thing were bright and bold colors, such as day-glo or neon style. Thankfully those such color choices have long since been replaced with a more subtle color selection (though still as bold and strong). Today's fashion seems to be the emulation of a suit, pin-stripped often, but matching pants and legs none the less. Which seems funny considering all the effort people made to get away from the one-piece snow suit of years past.

I mention all this for the moment when you realize slope side fashion is making a 180 turn again. This past week I watched as multiple one piece snow suits (on adults, teens, and children) were found to be sliding by.

More outrageous though were the return to the 80s fashionistas. Yes, there they were, an entire group of adults (young and old alike) sporting the latest in ski and snowboard gear (vintage 2006). Yet not a single one of them had on a jacket or pant whose color scheme was aged less than 20 years. The neon was back, and they were flaunting it a lot.

After awhile it made my eyes hurt and I had to avert my stares.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is awesome. My dad has some bright Powder Blue pants from when I was like 12 (20+ years ago) that he tried to wear with us. We lost him on the first run and hid so that we could listen to other people snicker about it.

I am a very subdued black and gray kind of guy. Nothing too outrageous.