Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Edges and care

At the end of my shift the other night, I went to talk with the guys in the pro-shop for a bit. Mainly because I wanted to wax my boards up a bit for the next day, but also to wait out the traffic jam of cars leaving the resort and talk to the guys in the shop a bit. While in there, a customer came in asking for a file.

In what can only be described as a Kenny Blankenship's "Most Extreme Elimination" moment. All of us proceeded to watch as the kid took the file to the edge of his board, and in the most hap-hazard way de-tune the edges. It sounded rough enough to make my hair stand on edge. I understand why it was done, the less of an edge the better to grind a rail with, but watching the process with which this guy took... it was just painful.

The really sad part is knowing that his board will never be useful on any other part of the mountain again. Once you've detuned like that, you'll need to get a new board to enjoy the rest of the mountain. Call me old fashioned, but the park is only fun for a short while, the rest of the mountain provides many other challenges that also need to be conquered.

I guess that's the advantage of having wealthy parents though.

No comments: