Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Advances Slope-side

When starting a new sport, people often take lessons in an effort to achieve a level of comfort before embarking on their own. At that point they ditch their instructor and move on to continue at their current level or begin learning through trial and error. Snow sports are no different. Once a student feels comfortable on a basic hill, it's not often they come back. I have been no different.

I learned to ski while I was much younger, taking only two lessons before I decided I could do better on my own. I learned how to accomplish a lot in that time, compensating with youth and strength where form would have done better. I've been spending the past few years trying to undo a lot of what has become a bad habit.

Enter the biggest advantage of instructing, the lessons. No, not the lessons you end up teaching on a daily basis to little Johnny or Susie. It's the lessons the PSIA or AASI sponsors with a DCL (District Clinic Leader), or those moments of free riding time with your fellow instructors.

For example, I tend to naturally sit in the back seat on my skis. Everyone does, it's one of the worst habits to get into. It happens for me because I drop my shoulders when making a turn. When free riding with other instructors, it's often pointed out that I'm being lazy and should fix things up. I don't often hear that from friends while skiing.

Another issue I have is my dynamic turning, or bend and flex, especially when in the bumps. I don't do it often enough which throws me off balance. Granted with enough practice on the bumps I'll eventually correct my movements, but there is only so much abuse a body can take before it snaps.

Or while snowboarding, I'll ride too heavy on the downhill foot causing the control to just be lost completely.

What brought this about? While sitting exasperated in the ski school lodge the other day, the owner pointed out if we were doing this just for the lift ticket we'd do better in Ski Patrol. One of the other instructors pointed out the lift ticket might be what wet our appetite for the job, but the clinics and advancement in skiing is what keeps us there. They're both right of course. Eventually, I'll make it down the bumps in a world class form and be happy to never do them again.

No comments: