Thursday, December 21, 2006

Bouncing

We like "shorty" skis for teaching. A shorty is a ski anywhere up to a 133 cm length. Being a relatively larger person, I use the longer 133 style. Each ski is fitted with the quick binding adjustment system that is color coded. I actually don't know what size my ski needs I just memorized the colors that it needs to be set to. This is really nice.

The big change with shorties is, you're often in the beginner area. As such the DIN setting is really really low (3 instead of 8 or 9). This allows your ski to pop off with much less force if needed. The problem is when you forget about this.

I had a series of 4 and 5 year old instruction classes for the morning, which opened to a chair lesson with two people I've worked with once in the past. They're both doing exceptionally well on their skiing, but wanted just a few more tips. This of course means heading up the chair lift. A excitement of a few moments of snowy bliss were all I needed to forget everything else for the day.

On the way down the run, we hit a powdery area that I decided to play in a bit. Hitting the snow, I had a few bumps and a little air at times. Unfortunately the last air time my skis did not join me, and I proceeded to meet the ground face first. My students were worried about me, as I layed in the snow laughing at myself. After that, getting down the rest of the run took awhile for me.

Lesson learned, always remember to reset the DIN strength before heading up the chair.

No comments: