Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Season Fever

Finally, it's September, which means for many of the snow obsessed like myself that the new season is on it's way. The remnants of deals from last season are just about gone, with the new equipment now arriving on shelves. Season passes are on discount for early bird purchasing, and most of my friends are busy trying to figure out where they'll be this year (the debate, back to the larger resort, or to the smaller resort with the new expanded coverage area).

For a handful of my friends it means something entirely different, time to get back into shape. Yep, after slacking off all summer long it's time to get the body back into shape of being on the slopes regularly. In my world that means returning to a regimented diet, cutting out beer for about 3 or 4 months, and hitting the gym on an almost daily basis. This summer has been particularly poor for me, with little to no cycling done at length like I had wanted for a variety of reasons. In the end I made the choice to not get on the bike though. I'll probably be posting some of the routines I've been using online as I go.

The debate I'm having this year is a sizable one. I love where I am geographically, but I've reached my tolerance level on my second job (the job that pays most of the bills). There is a severe lack of employment in the area for jobs that pay any kind of reasonable money, which has been why I haven't left yet. A friend suggested that I apply for a full time job at one of those destination resorts as an instructor and I've been seriously considering it. It'd be one of those learning events for the season, but the unknown afterwards is something that limits my willingness to attempt. Opinions?

No comments: