Friday, April 13, 2007

Riding the Closeout Wave

It's getting to the end of the season everywhere, which is sad news on some aspects. On the other hand it's also the only moment of the year when I get to really travel to any kind of non-local (meaning more than 4 hours drive) away. It also means I'm between seasonal positions right now, which allows me the chance to do foolish things like spend money. With that in mind, a group of five of us took off to enjoy foreign mountains. That's partially what caused the lack of posting. The other is I'm still not sure what to continue posting in the post-season.

I've had my first big mountain experience at Big Sky in Montana, all I can say is... wow. If you get a chance, certainly go check it out. Words really can't describe the different feel found here. We stayed in a camper out on a parking lot that belonged to a friend of a friend kind of deal. It wasn't the cleanest, it certainly was cozy, but it was also free. I'm told Jackson Hole is the next place for me to check out. Next season my friends, next season.

We were hoping to hit Silver Star or Big White but weren't sure of the travel time before it closed. Instead we hit Schweitzer for a two day run before driving back to Bozeman for our flight home.

In the upcoming week(end), if everything happens correctly, a long road trip to reaching Mammoth will occur. I haven't been there in a few years but remember having a blast. Even in low coverage, it's such a different mountain. The people are partially to blame for it, the ratio of A-list ski/snowboard stars is high.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, Big Sky is sick. 5k+ Acres and 4k+ vertical feet.

Love it there.