Thursday, March 29, 2007

Boot Death

This past weekend my boots finally died. I've been riding with some Nordica W12's for the past two years, finding them incredibly comfortable. There was never a BRO (Boot Release Orgasm - the moment when your foot escapes the confines of a ski boot and your body realizes it can flex again) moment when taking the boots off. I had looked at Justin's suggestion of the Beast 10's he found on sale. I tried some on locally and thought they fit pretty well. Unfortunately the online dealer had none in my size. Right now my boots sit at the Nordica boot dealer in hopes that they can repair the damage done to them. Underneath the top buckle system are two rivets that allow the boot to flex in a specific pattern.

How did they break?
While teaching a Level 2/3 class and demonstrating a flattening of the foot maneuver my shorty skis (123cm) got stuck in the super wet and slush snow conditions. A fellow snowboard instructor on course down the hill caught an edge behind me and slammed into me. The force apparently was enough to break the rivets. The collision allowed one nice change, no more squeeky boots. Unfortunately they now flex in lots of directions never intended by the plastic.

I demo'd some Atomics for the rest of the day. Much stiffer and a less comfortable fit to me. Let's hope the dealer can fix the boots before two weekends pass as that's my Level II/III on snow exam time.

No comments: